Monday, May 18, 2009

Day 34 Greensburg, Oh to Middletown (Dayton),OH: 76 bike miles;2388 cumulative miles



After another night of heavy rain, we left the Lee's Inn in Greensburg, Indiana (not to be confused with Greensburg, KS that I previously wrote about) with heavy overcast skies with a definite feel of rain. Since we were on the north side of Greenfield we decided to take a slightly different route from the RAM route, heading north on Route 3 and then east on County Road 520 through Clarkson. The night before I had replaced my tire and tube on the back wheel, only to find it flat as I was about to leave. I refilled the tire, and it seemed to hold air so I decided to give it a shot. After about 10 miles I noticed that the tire was nearly flat. I put more air in it and continued, but also called Jay and asked him to wait for me since it seemed like I had a leak. So another tube bites the dust...

It was enjoyable riding on the sparsely travelled road, with the beautiful fields and farms,












although we did encounter a number of dogs who got a great thrill out of terrorizing us as we passed by. Mostly they were harmless and enjoyed running with us (Charlie may disagree with this assessment :)















Eventually we reached Route 52 and soon came to the Whitewater Canal, which is a State Historic Site.


































We had lunch in Brookville, which had many historical buildings and then we continued unceremoniously into Ohio - there was no sign to welcome us to the new State.







We were soon in Oxford, Ohio, which is the home of Miami of Ohio University. All day it alternated between threatening clouds and bright sunshine. As it got later in the day, the rainclouds started forming in earnest and it seemed that we would have a huge storm... but it only drizzled and then the sun came out.



I had been in contact with my nephew, Mike Corbett, who lives in northeast Dayton, with his wife Katie and 21 month old, Jacob. They were away during the day but would return around 7 pm. We decided to have dinner on the road and then drive up to Mike and Katie's.


















Jacob is a real cutie, who we all enjoyed playing with. After Jacob went to bed, Jay and I, Katie and Mike played, you guessed it, euchre.





No comments:

Post a Comment