Saturday, May 16, 2009

Day 33 Bloomington (vic) to Greensburg, IN (84 bike miles; 2312 cum miles)


Rather than following our usual ritual of fresh brewed coffee in Tiggy, we decided to defer (HORRORS!) our morning coffee till we got to Bloomington, about 16 miles away, where Charlie's nephew, Zack lives. Zack is a Chemistry professor at the University of Indiana.

We had a comfortable night on the lot of Grubb's Garage, nestled next to a big repaving machine, and actually got started before 8, one of our earlier starts.


We met Zack at the Copper Kettle
which was both a different name and address from what Zack had given us, but it all worked out. We had a nice visit with Zack. Jay even managed to get a haircut during the visit.

We took a slight detour through the University of Indiana campus. Everywhere there were signs for the Coach Hep benefit bike/run/walk that is taking place tomorrow. Coach Hep was the Indiana football coach who recently died of cancer.
We then continued eastward on our journey.

The next large town was Columbus, IN, which was bisected by a river with a rather stunning bridge. The river level was quite high, but there did not seem to be any evidence of flooding in the city itself.

After Columbus we did some "leap frogging" which allowed Jay to do some biking. I drove Tiggy about 10 miles down the road and then biked back till I met Charlie. Once we were back to Tiggy, Kriss, Jay, and Charlie continued biking while I drove Tiggy to Greensburg to identify a place to stay for the evening. I then started biking back. Within a mile, I ran into Kriss and Jay. About a mile later, unfortunately I got a flat. I was about ready to go when Charlie came by. I then realized that the tube I installed had a slow leak. Fortunately, I did not have too far to go to get back to Greensburg.



No comments:

Post a Comment