Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Dau 16 - Springer, NM to Clayton, NM (85 bike miles, 1133 cumulative miles)

The headwinds that we had experienced the day before apparently were part of a cold front since the weather was chilly when we started out from the Oasis Motel and got progressively foggier, colder and then drizzly. Fortunately the wind was not too bad and it was mostly downhill. But towns and services were widely spread apart. Our waiter from the night before, Gary, had mentioned that there was only one small town between Springer and Clayton, a distance of about 83 miles.

With my hands and feet cold from the fog and the rain, I was pushing hard to get to Gladstone, which was about 42 miles from Springer (leaving Charlie and Kriss behind). There I found the delightful Gladstone Mercantile, which was a real oasis! I got a cup of coffee, which helped warm me up a bit. I took off my wet shoes and socks and enjoyed both the warmth and ambience of the charming grocery/crafts store that obviously is a labor of love by the owner, Thelma, and her husband. It was then on to Clayton and the KOA campground there for the remaining 43 miles, where unfortunately Charlie experienced a flat tire.















































No comments:

Post a Comment